Hands down, this is the BEST “new” jam we’ve heard in a while. This instantly lovable song by Brooklyn solo singer Heven first surfaced in 2010 as an independent. A playful homage to the Gay besties that straight girls love to love, it’s been picked up by Electronica/Dance label Ultra Records and has been give a commercial push. Remixes by the likes of Gigi Barocco complete the package, though we’re mad for the original, with its opening command to “Drop dat beat, bitch!” insistent cowbells and a hook that’s catchy as f#ck. Think Justin Timberlake’s “Lovestoned.” The low budget video, filmed primarily in Times Square, actually features TWO GBF’s: one a young twink and the other a sassy diva, as well as Heven herself with a sassy pink dye job. This one is a major winner that we should be hearing all summer. Pick of the week! No, pick of the month!
“Don’t F#ck With My Money” – Penguin Prison
Keeping our focus on the outer boroughs, the “Occupy Wall Street” movement has a new anthem with this laidback bopper about banking/government greed by Penguin Prison, aka Brooklyn artist Chris Wallace. PP first gained recognition as a remixer, notably with his unusual and spare electro version of Kylie’s “Get Outta My Way,” which purposely left out the main refrain with unexpectedly brilliant results. As a performer in his own right, this white boy sounds – impossibly enough – like Prince, employing a smooth lower register dotted with falsetto grace notes. The original version is perfection, but the mixes stand out, including a High NRG version from the inexhaustible Dave Aude. Penguin’s own Club Mix keeps the 80s groove deliciously intact. We dig the b&w video.
“Dirty Little Secret (Majik Boys Remix)” – Madonna Nash
I’m not a big Country fan, but love when Country ditties get the remix treatment. The twang of an earnest power ballad can be the basis for a great dance tune. Following in the footsteps of such winning Country/Dance combos as Lady Antebellum’s “Need You Now,” Reba’s take on “You Keep Me Hangin’ On” and any White Label remix of Dolly Parton, is this rerub of the Country newcomer’s “Dirty Little Secret.” A new cut of the original video – taking place in A ROLLER DISCO – is good, campy fun that will fit right in on a gay bar’s flat screens!
“Tongue Tied” – Grouplove
I freely admit to being prejudiced against songs I first hear being used in TV commercials. One notable exception came late last year with Grouplove’s “Tongue Tied,” which popped up seemingly endlessly in iPod TV commercials. But rather than resist, I gave in. In the same sonic universe as Foster The People, this song has one liability that “Pumped Up Kicks” also suffered from: the intentionally distorted sound design makes them difficult for clear club play. Happily, the former now boasts a terrific mix from Minneapolis DJ/producer Gigamesh. This particular mix gives a good Lounge groove, but bumping up the bpm on your own makes it prime uptempo club play.
Finally, we’re over the moon about news of a forthcoming collaboration between Daft Punk and Niles Rodgers, hands down our favorite producer of all time. We’ll keep you posted as details “Emerge”…
This week’s TOP 20 DANCE CHART sees the debut of all 4 songs above, most dynamically by “Gay Best Friend” – as well as the re-entry of last fall’s “We Run The Night” by Havana Brown. Thankfully, a version comes WITHOUT the clichéd ramblings of Pitbull! Meanwhile, Neon Hitch holds the top spot for a second week, and will likely aim to fend off Jason Derulo and hold onto her crown.
1) F U Betta (Dave Aude Mix) – Neon Hitch (1) *
2) Breathing (JRMX Club Mix) – Jason Derulo (5)
3) Stronger (What Doesn’t Kill You) (Original & 7th Heaven Club Mixes) – Kelly Clarkson (3)
4) Turn Me On (Original Mix) – David Guetta feat. Nicki Minaj (2) *
5) You Da One (Dave Aude Mix) – Rihanna (7)
6) Turn This Club Around – R.I.O. feat. U-Jean (8)
7) Try With Me (7th Heaven Club Mix) – Nicole Scherzinger (6)
8) Waiting On You (Original Mix) – Michelle Williams & Utra Nate (4) *
9) GBF (Gay Best Friend) – Heven [DEBUT]
10) Same Sh#t (original Mix) – Qwote feat. Pitbull (10)
11) Man Out Of U (Spunky Remix) – Matthew Duffy (15)
12) R.E.S.P.E.C.T. – RLP & Barbara Tucker feat. Lil Jon (11)
13) Nothing For Love (Original Mix) – Nathan Seth feat. Klubjumpers (13)
14) Wild Ones – Flo Rida feat. Sia (14)
15) Give Me All Your Luvin’ (LMFAO Mix) – Madonna feat. LMFAO & Nicki Minaj (19) *
16) Dirty Little Secret (Majik Boys Mix) – Madonna Nash [DEBUT]
17) We Run The Night – Havana Brown [RE-ENTRY]
18) Troublemaker – Taio Cruz (20)
19) Don’t F#ck With My Money (Original & X Mixes) – Penguin Prison [DEBUT]
20) Tongue Tied (Gigamesh Mix) – Grouplove [DEBUT]
*Indicates current/former #1s